07 September 2008

Cut Copy at Razzmatazz

Friday was the first day that I haven't taken a four hour nap in the middle of the afternoon. Progress! We had our school orientation, which wasn't very helpful and I'm still pretty confused about how everything works. But I did find out that I am at the advanced level for Spanish, which is pretty great, and I start language class on Monday.

In the afternoon we went to the beach, which is GORGEOUS and I got so many freckles. I also ate a ham and cheese sandwich at a stand selling them, which, for anyone who knows me, is extremely out of the ordinary. Rabbit, snails, ham...I don't know what's come over me. It's truly unfortunate though how obsessed Spain is with ham...it's even on their 'cheese pizza'! Anyway, Brooke (my roommate) and I went grocery shopping, and it's amazing how much better and more awake I feel after eating some cereal for breakfast and a sandwich with vegetables in it for lunch. Crazy Spain, even at the grocery store their sliced turkey was actually ham.

We cooked our first meal in our dorm kitchen that night with our friend Chris, and it was super delicious- I missed cooking much more than I realized. Then we went to his apartment, which was really cool and made me almost wish I had chosen apartamento on my housing application rather than residencia. Either way, each has its advantages and disadvantages but I miss my apartment a lot.

The best part of Friday, though was when we went out late at night- we had already decided to go to this club, Razzmatazz, which I guess is THE hip club in Barcelona right now. I don't know, whatever! Well we checked the website before we went and there was a big photo of Cut Copy and Friday's date. I couldn't believe it, especially because we missed them at Pitchfork. The club was wild- a HUGE main room with smaller rooms upstairs and downstairs and throughout, with everyone dancing and having a great time. Then around 2:30 am a huge projector screen that was on one of the walls rolls up and behind it was a stage, and Cut Copy came out and proceeded to play for the next hour and a half. It was wild! I had SUCH a blast and so did the people I was with. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the chance.

There is no way I'll be able to go out like that very often, staying up so late kills me. Though I have noticed how differently time works here. It is just after 4 pm and I ate lunch less than an hour ago. I'm going to the beach soon to play some ultimate again, and I'm jazzed because I already spent most of today outside.

I went for a great run through the streets around my neighborhood, and it was beautiful because everyone was outside walking around and enjoying the glorious weather as well as the company of who they were with. There is a park right near where I live, Parc Ciutadella, which is incredible, as well as the Spanish Arc de Triomf. After my run I went back there with my camera and sketchbook and watched people for hours.

Tomorrow I start class and I'm a little bit nervous. I still have no idea where it is, but my university is about a 7 minute walk from where I am living so I should be okay. And now, to the beach!

No comments: